There are 11 governors, all from different backgrounds, who help and support the school :
- Some are Foundation Governors – who are appointed by St Stephen's Church.
- Some are LA Governors – who are appointed by the Local Authority in Bolton.
- Some are Parent Governors – who are elected by the parents of the children who attend our school.
- There is one Teaching Governor – who is chosen by the staff.
Many of our Governors have been in Office for a number of years and have long-standing connections with the school and the church. Some of them attended the school themselves as children and later sent their own children. In November 2017, Mr Grant and Mr Miller attended a service at Manchester Cathedral delivered by Bishop Stephen, Bishop of Ely, to recognise the contributions of long serving Church of England Governors. Both Mr Grant and Mr Miller have been Governors at St Stephen's for over 20 years.
How do Governors help and support the school?
- They are involved in planning our school's future development and direction.
- They have high expectations of what our pupils can achieve.
- They listen to our staff and support them in all areas of teaching and learning.
- They encourage our pupils' spiritual, moral and social development.
- They ensure the school is providing for all our pupils, irrespective of background, including those with special needs.
- They are accountable for the performance of our school to parents and to the wider community.
- They listen to advice from the Senior Leadership team as to how the school's budget should be spent, and make decisions.
- They challenge by gathering views and asking questions.
- They analyse the school's data.
- They visit our school and talk to our pupils.
The two main Committees which Governors attend are as follows:
Resources - R Grant (Chair of Committee), E Birch, A Miller, N Turner, R Branchflower, D King, T Lasan
School Effectiveness - V Smethurst (Chair of Committee), A Hall, J Seggie, K Goodwin, Revd K Lafferty, T Lasan
Our Governors also have specific areas of responsibility, as follows:
Equal Opportunities - All Governors
SEN - R Grant
Looked After Children - R Grant
Child Protection - J Seggie
Safeguarding - J Seggie
Health and Safety - R Grant
Safer Recruitment - R Grant
Head Teacher Performance Review - R Grant, V Smethurst, A Miller
English - Revd. K Lafferty
Maths - V Smethurst
Eco - V Smethurst
Link for Training - A Hall
Partnership - D King/A Miller
There are no relevant business interests or family relationships between Governors and members of staff.