We are an Eco Green Flag School. We were awarded Green Flag Status in 2014 and we are very proud of our achievement. Being Eco helps us think about the world we live in today and how we can make it better for children in the future.
In our Eco work, we consider many different areas, including:
- Waste Minimisation
- School Grounds
- Health & Well-Being
- Sustaining our World
Our Eco Team have brought in many initiatives which have made a real difference to our school:
- All our waste is recycled through our waste removal company.
- Regular meter readings are taken with the help of Mr Williams, our Site Manager, to keep an eye on energy consumption and we have educated everyone in school to ensure that lights are turned off in areas that are not being used, to conserve energy and reduce costs.
- Water consumption has been considerably reduced through the introduction of pebble filled bottles placed in our toilet tanks. This has resulted in lower water charges from our school budget.
- We have introduced a 'Walking Bus' to help reduce traffic around school.
- Our Eco Garden has turned an overgrown unused area of the school into a productive and beautiful space - produce is grown, insects are looked after in the 'Insect Hotel', wild flowers grow, pond life thrive and children enjoy being educated in a fabulous outdoor learning area.
We also formed a partnership with joinery students form Bolton College Construction Department to build a grand entrance to our Eco Garden. We told them our ideas, they helped us draw up plans and the students built us a fantastic pergola entrance. We also had an idea to build a 'Story Chair' to commemorate our Centenary Year, so that children could enjoy the Garden whilst listening to stories. The College students helped us with the design and then built it for us!!
Green Flag status is awarded for a two year period. We have been successful in retaining our status for a second time which means we will only have to apply again in June 2018.